Live animals can be transported on all Air Tahiti routes (except flights to/from Rarotonga), on a space-available basis. The transport of live animals is subject to the following specific conditions:
You must notify the cargo service at your departure airport as early as possible and no later than 24 hours prior to departure. Live animals are accepted as premium cargo only and special volume rates may be payable.
> Find out how much it will cost to transport my pet.
- In view of the special handling involved in transporting live animals, a fee of XPF 2,000 per item is payable for this type of cargo, on top of the transport cost.
- Pets can be checked in at the Air Tahiti desk up to four hours prior to departure.
All animals are allowed on board Air Tahiti flights, except:
- Category 1 and 2 dogs (Rottweilers, pit bulls...), and mastiffs weighing 40 kg (88 lb) or more.
- Animals showing signs of aggressiveness.
- Animals giving off powerful, nauseating odours, such as ducks, geese, goats and pigs.
- Infected or poisonous animals, with the exception of bees.
- Harmful invasive species (rats, mice, red-eared slider turtles, certain birds such as the common myna and red-vented bulbul...). View the list of harmful invasive species on the website of the Rural Development Department (Service du Développement Rural). Website in french.
- Pregnant females, except upon presentation of a veterinary certificate stating that they can be transported without risk of giving birth or being harmed, or females that have given birth within 48 hours prior to departure.
- Animals protected by the Washington Convention (protected and endangered animals).
In order to protect the ecosystems of islands as yet free from certain diseases or parasites, for some species, your pet will need to be inspected by the Rural Development Department (SDR) and obtain a certificate allowing the animal to travel. This provision concerns :
- birds belonging to the Psittacidae family (such as parakeets, lovebirds...), to the waterfowl (swans), and Columbidae (pigeons, doves...) for which the transport from Tahiti to all islands is subject to the Rural Development Department (SDR) authorization.
- bees for which the transport from Tahiti, Moorea, Huahine, Raivavae and Tubuai to all islands with the exception of Tahiti, Moorea, Huahine, Raivavae and Tubuai is subject to the Rural Development Department (SDR) authorization.
micro-wasps for which transport from all islands is subject to the Rural Development Department (SDR) authorization. A certificate issued by the SDR is required.
Their container must be closed so that they cannot get out during transport.
Please contact Rural Development Department (SDR)
- Dogs and cats over four months old must be identified with a microchip or tattoo carried out by a vet.
- To transport live fish, prior authorisation must be obtained from the Cargo Service. Their packaging must have a fully watertight base and be sufficiently resistant to all the different handling required.
The container used to transport your pet must be suitable and approved for air transport. It must comply with the following standards:
- It must be rigid so as to ensure your pet's safety. Animals in cardboard boxes are not permitted.
- The base must be watertight and contain absorbent material to prevent any excrement from soiling your baggage and that of other passengers.
- It must be of sufficient size to allow the animal to stand, turn around and lie down without injuring itself.
- On ATR flights, the height of the container may not exceed 150 cm (59 in). On Twin Otter and Beechcraft flights, it may not exceed 80 cm (31 in).
- The container must be able to bear the weight of the animal when handled at the loading, unloading and storage stages.
- The door must be fitted with an effective closure mechanism (padlock, strap...).
- The container must have ventilation holes to allow sufficient ventilation for your pet and enable it to be seen.
- Air Tahiti Cargo service proposes different types of crates for rent ; all of them are accepted for air transport. Click here.
However, you must provide the relevant locking systems.
- The container must be labelled with the name and telephone number of the sender, recipient and a person to contact in case of emergency (24 hours a day).
You will need to sign a special transport declaration when checking in your pet at the cargo desk.