Titre de la page
Minimum flight duration : 1h40
Distance from Tahiti : 645 km
The good reasons to visit
- Gentle, lush-green mountainsides and fertile plains.
- Motus of white sand as far as the eye can see.
- A vast lagoon (5 km across), ideal for kitesurfing and windsurfing.
- Historical sites (site of Fort George, built by the Bounty mutineers) and cultural sites (maraes).
- Whale watching in season.
- Land- and water-based trips.
Do not miss
- The panoramic views from the summit of Mount Taitaa.
- The site of George, oh "Mutiny on the Bounty".
- The beaches with white and yellow sand.
- The « maraes », or archaeological sites.
- The site of Vaitauarii, formerly used for royal tattoos.
Did you know that
- Fletcher Christian and the Mutineers of the Bounty stayed on the island of Tubuai after leaving Tahiti in 1789. They built a colossal fort, called Fort George, of which nothing remains today, except the site and the memories of intense fighting.
- Thirteen varieties of different coloured sand can be found around the island.
- Tubuai is the capital of the lily, and fields of lilies stretcl as far the eye can see.
- The Tubuai lagoon is exceptionally wide: 5 km in places!
Air Tahiti magazine
Tubuai airport is located some distance from the island's main villages.
There is no shuttle service, so to get to the villages, you will need to go by car.
If you have booked tourist accommodation, find out from your hosts whether they can arrange your outward and return transfer.
- Air Tahiti agency
- Snack bar
- Telephone kiosk