Good reasons to visit
- Gentle, lush-green mountainsides and fertile plains.
- Motus of white sand as far as the eye can see.
- A vast lagoon (5 km across), ideal for kitesurfing and windsurfing.
- Historical sites (site of Fort George, built by the Bounty mutineers) and cultural sites (maraes).
- Whale watching in season.
- Land- and water-based trips.
Do not miss
- The panoramic views from the summit of Mount Taitaa.
- The site of George, oh "Mutiny on the Bounty".
- The beaches with white and yellow sand.
- The « maraes », or archaeological sites.
- The site of Vaitauarii, formerly used for royal tattoos.
Did you know that?
Tubai is the largest of the Austral Islands and the administrative centre of the archipelago. 670 km south of Tahiti, it is an emeral set in a crystal lagoon, which visitors discover from the air after 2h30 flight. The main centre, Mataura, 4 kilometers from the airport contains the island's main infrastructure. The climate here, as throughout the archipelago, is cooler than in the other Polynesian Islands. Its history is marked by the passage of the Mutineers of the Bounty who, after leaving Tahiti, tried to settle here in 1789, at Fort George, of which nothing but a memory remains. Countless deserted motus, set with millions of grains of immaculate white sand, provide the perfect picture-postcard setting for sun worshipping. With the aid of the trade winds, the immense turquoise lagoon - 5km across in places - offers ideal conditions for kitesurfing, to delight of enthusiasts of this extreme sport.
The island's interior is crossed by pleasant hiking trails and there are opportunities for 4x4 tours, through vegetation concealing archaeological sites in places. The islanders lives off fish from the well-stocked waters and abundant crops grown on the fertile plains (coffee, taro, wild oranges, potatoes, lekks, etc.). Completely off the beaten tracks, Tubuai makes for an original destination, at the heart of Polynesia.
Things to do
- Nautical activities :
- Boat trips.
- Whale watching (July to October),
- Line fishing.
- Picnics on the motus.
- Inland activities :
- 4x4 safaris.
- Bike and car hire.
- Surface area: 17sq. miles
- Circumference: 25 km (16miles)
- Highest peak: Mount Taitaa (422 m = 1,385 ft).
- Districts: Mataura (main village), Taahueia, Tamatoa, Mahu, Tepu Anua.
- Population: approx. 2044 + inhabitants.
- Tourist office : Harii Taata Association, in Mataura.
- Bank(s): 1 Banque Socredo.
- Post office(s) : in Mataura
- Public telephone(s): Several telephone boxes in Mataura.
- Shop(s ): Several grocers. At the town hall, craft associations display and sell their wares.
- Restaurant(s) : Besides the family-run guest houses, the options for eating out are limited.
- Healthcare : One medical centre.