Destination Fakarava : Infos clés & aéroport
Minimum flight duration : 1h10
Distance from Tahiti : 453 km
The good reasons to visit
- A splendid atoll, with unspoilt nature, forming part of the UNESCO’s Biosphere Reserve, due to its particularly rare flora and fauna.
- Superb "motus" of pink and white sand, dotted with coconut trees, great for escaping, away from everything.
- The crystal clear waters, ideal for swimming, snorkeling and diving.
- The exceptional dive sites: the northern pass is the largest in French Polynesia (2,624 ft wide) and allows the observation of the "big wildlife" and exceptional coral reefs; the southern pass also offers a very rich and picturesque underwater landscape.
- Cultural and historical sites to explore.
- The inland and water activities.
Do not miss
- The exceptional diving and snorkeling spots, particularly the northern and southern passes,
- excursions to secluded fine sand motu (islets) on the northern part of the atoll but also to southern pass area,
- the old Tetamanu village with its church built in coral (south pass),
- pearl farms,
- the picturesque Rotoava village,
- the ancient Topaka lighthouse, made of coral stones and concrete.
Did you know that
- Fakarava used to be called Havai'i or Havaiki in the past.
- Fakarava is the second largest atoll in the Tuamotu islands, after Rangiroa and before Makemo.
- The northern pass, Garuae is the largest in French Polynesia (5249 ft wide).
- Tetamanu village is located at the Southern pass of Fakarava, which is famous for its exceptional marine life.
- One of the first Catholic churches in French Polynesia, built of coral stones, is located in Tetamanu (southern pass). It was built in 1874.
- The ancient Topaka lighthouse was built in 1957 by a woman, Mrs. Taui Degage, with a team of workers coming from Rurutu island. She was chosen as the main builder for many lighthouses of that kind.
Air Tahiti magazine
Fakarava airport is located on the main island, some distance from the village of Rotoava.
There is no shuttle service, so to get to the main village you will need to go by car.
If you have booked tourist accommodation, find out from your hosts whether they can arrange your outward and return transfer.
- Snack bar
- Telephone kiosk