Titre de la page
Minimum flight duration : 0h55
Distance from Tahiti : 313 km
The good reasons to visit
- A unique lagoon, separated into a multitude of basins about 8 metres deep, offering dazzling gradations of blue and green.
- A natural tropical aquarium
- An enchanting landscape.
- A traditional and relaxed lifestyle.
- A few places to visit, full of History and legends.
- Activities, close to the inhabitants.
Do not miss
- Papiro marae (archeological site) with a huge coral throne in the center,
- the bird island,
- the “Turtle Rock” (“Ofai Tau Noa”),
- the center of Mataiva ( « Mataiva Papa »)
- the “ghost ship”,
- fish parks,
- the “hoa” (small chanels),
- the white sand beaches.
Did you know that
- Mataiva means "nine eyes " in Tahitian language and has been named after its nine channels ("hoa").
- The lagoon of Mataiva is unique: it is composed of a multitude of basins (more than seventy) about 8 metres deep, offering a spectacular view from the air or from a boat.
- A shipwreck, of which only the rusty bow remains, is hidden among the vegetation. This vessel has been wrecked during the cyclone of 1906, and ended up into the coconut grove due to subsequent cyclones.
- Mataiva contains phosphate deposits estimated to reach several million tons, that remain untapped according to the will of the population.
Air Tahiti magazine
Mataiva airport is close to the village of Pahua.
There is no shuttle service, so to get to the village you will need to go by car.
If you have booked tourist accommodation, find out from your hosts whether they can arrange your outward and return transfer.
- Air Tahiti agency
- Snack bar
- Telephone kiosk