Destination Moorea : Infos clés & aéroport
Minimum flight duration : 0h15
Distance from Tahiti : 19 km
The good reasons to visit
- A pleasant and relaxed atmosphere.
- A preserved and sumptuous natural environment (valleys, bays, waterfalls, gazebo).
- Magnificent archaeological sites.
- The possibility of visiting pineapple and other crop plantations.
- Moorea Green Pearl Golf course (18 holes).
- Dolphin and whale encounters and tours (in season).
- A wide range of quality restaurants around the island.
- Many inland and nautical activities.
Do not miss
- Cook’s Bay, Opunohu Bay and Atiha Bay,
- the “Belvédère” with its panoramic view on the bays and the impressive Mt Rotui in the middle,
- Temae beach,
- the octagonal temple of Papetoai,
- Afareaitu’s waterfalls,
- the archaeological sites of Opunohu valley,
- Paopao’s market place,
- the Moorea Dolphin Center and the Turtle Center at the Intercontinental Moorea Resort & Spa
- the fruit juice factories "Rotui" of Moorea and Manutea (with visit and tropical fruit tasting),
- the Tiki Village Theatre,
- « Maison de la Nature du Mou’a Roa » where nature wonders are awaiting you,
- Moorea Tropical Garden.
Did you know that
- Moorea used to be called Aimeho or Eimeo in the past.
- Moorea means “yellow lizard”.
- The highest summit of the island is Mt Tohiea (more than 1 200 m in height = 3,960 ft).
- The Papetoai temple is one of the most ancient European constructions in Polynesia (1827).
- Beautiful ancestral stone platforms of archery can be found in the valley of Opunohu. Archery was not practiced by warriors but exclusively the male elite of the aristocracy as a sacred game.
Moorea airport is located in the east of the island.
There is no shuttle service, but taxis and transport providers offer a service between the airport and the different villages.
If you have booked tourist accommodation, find out from your hosts whether they can arrange your outward and return transfer.
- Air Tahiti agency
- Souvenir shops
- Telephone kiosk