Good reasons to visit
- Lush vegetation, vegetable and fruit crops in abundance as well as magnificent gardens.
- A luminous blue lagoon, untouched beaches and coves as well as idyllic ""motu"" (islets) of fine sand.
- The opportunity to learn about the past of the ancient Polynesians through one of the largest archaeological sites collections of Polynesia as well as legendary sites.
- Many cultural points of interest.
- Inland and nautical activities in a preserved environment.
Do not miss
- The numerous archeological remains of Huahine Nui, particularly in Maeva and in Huahine Iti,
- The ancient fish traps built in coral blocks and the “Fare Potee” in Maeva district,
- the sacred blue-eyed eels of Faie,
- the ""Belvédère"" of the cross-island road with a viewpoint on the beautiful Maroe bay,
- Peter Owen’s pearl farm including his pottery exhibition, poised on the crystalline lagoon,
- handicraft shops of Fare,
- fishermen’s authentic villages,
- vanilla plantations,
- Chez Vahinemoea, a 2 hectares plantation presenting various fruits.
Did you know that?
- Huahine used to be called Matairea in the past.
- Maeva shelters one of the most extensive archaeological remains in Polynesia. The “marae” Manunu, which is part of it, has impressive dimensions: 2 m (6.6 ft) high, 40 m (131 ft) long and 7 m (22 ft) wide.
- Ancient fish parks can be seen in Maeva.
- There is a lake in Huahine named Fauna Nui.
- The sacred blue-eyed eels live in the little river of Faie.
Huahine, who used to be named Matairea in the past, is located 175 kilometers (108 miles) northwest of Tahiti, only 35-minutes by plane. It belongs to the Leeward Islands group along with Raiatea, Tahaa, Bora Bora and Maupiti. Blessed with numerous assets, Huahine is a must-see destination. It appears to be one of the preferred islands of enthusiasts of authenticity, charmed by its preserved nature and the simplicity of its inhabitants who make their living principally from agriculture, fishing and tourism.
Huahine is composed of two islands connected by a bridge: Huahine Nui (big Huahine) to the north shelters the very picturesque village of Fare as well as the Maeva district which contains one of the vastest archeological collections in Polynesia. Huahine Iti (little Huahine) to the south, boasts superb panoramas as well as magnificent white sand beaches. Don’t miss visiting the blue-eyed freshwater eels of Faie or a vanilla farm and be sure to make a stop at the only pearl farm on the island poised on the crystalline lagoon. Pastel shades of blue and green, the lagoon offers excellent snorkeling while the passes enchant scuba divers. The islets surrounding the island are ideal places to splash around in the crystal-clear waters or stretch out on the warm sand around a picnic lunch lulled by the sounds of a “ukulele”. Huahine equally enjoys world-renowned “surfspots”.
Whether you discover the island by boat, 4WD, horseback, on foot or bicycle, Huahine, with its innumerable legends, will leave you with an enduring souvenir…
Things to do
Nautical activities :
- Scuba diving,
- lagoon excursions,
- circle island tour on an outrigger canoe including a picnic lunch on a “motu”,
- jet skiing,
- visit of a pearl farm by boat,
- motor boat rental,
- lagoon fishing tour.
- Guided tours,
- guided mountain bikes rides,
- tour around the island,
- 4WD safari tours,
- visit of vanilla plantations, parks and gardens,
- bicycle, E-bike, scooter and car rentals,
- quad hikes.
Relaxation center(s) and Spa (s) :
- Royal Huahine Spa, The Royal Huahine Hotel.
- Art galleries.
- Surface area : 28.5 sq. miles
- Circumference : 60 km (37.5 miles) as a whole (Huahine Nui and Huahine Iti)
- Highest peak : Mount Turi (669 m = 2,194 ft)
- Districts : Huahine Nui Fare (port and main village), Maeva, Faie, Maroe and Fitii.
- Huahine Iti : Haapu, Tefarerii and Parea.
- Population : + 6430 inhabitants.
- Tourist offices : in Fare.
- Bank(s) : 2 agencies with 1 « Banque Socredo », 1 « Banque de Tahiti ». ATMs.
- Post office(s) : in Fare.
- Public phone(s) : in Fare, Parea, Faie, Fitii, Haapu, Maeva, Maroe & Tefarerii.
- Shop(s) : supermarkets and other shops (handicraft, souvenirs, etc...) in Fare.
- Restaurant(s) : French, Local & International cuisines.
- Medical services : 1 medical center, 1 pharmacy Private doctors, dentist, radiologist.
- State Police : in Fare.